Sunday, September 19, 2004
 
THINKING ABOUT YESTERDAY and TODAY
I have been thinking about what my parents had to do to keep the home fires burning. When the weather was cold my dad had to go down to the cellar and put coals in the furnace, I think that was referred to as stoking the furnace. The stairs were rickety and if you went down early in the morning or late at night it was very dark. I never heard him complain, it had to be done and he did it.

In order to get things ready for breakfast, the first thing my mother did was take the milk in that was left at our back door by "the milkman". If is was cold out the milk had a head on it, the cream would come to the top, then she would bundle up and go across the street to the bakery and buy some fresh rolls. Once back home she would squeeze some fresh oranges with a green glass squeezer, then she would melt butter in a fry pan , add the beaten eggs and make wonderful scrambled eggs which my mother called a finechune, (I probably spelled that wrong) but no matter how you spell it, it was delicious.

Oh, I must tell you about the icebox, We had an "ice man" would deliver a chunk of ice to use when he saw the "ICE Card" in the window. It was my fathers responsibility to empty the pan periodically otherwise the kitchen floor would get flooded!

That was then.

Now, when I get up in the morning and there is a chill in the air I go to the thermostat and turn up the heat.

When I am not on the South Beach Diet I pour myself some orange juice and then make some oatmeal in the microwave. If I feel like having a piece of toast, take it out of the freezer, put it in the toaster oven and put on some margarine, heaven forbid, use butter. I know what Julia Child would say about that! The next thing I do is make a cup of coffee in my new Senseo Coffee Machine, it only takes 90 seconds. All this is done with the help of the thermostat, refigerator, freezer, toaster oven, microwave and coffee machine.

This is now!

Millie


Comments: Post a Comment


HOME
Powered by Blogger