Sunday, December 02, 2007
 
THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH
One thing I know I am not going to do when I get down to Florida is, I am not going to one of those seminars that offer you a free lunch! In the past I have gone to those seminars and have had some delicious lunches in some very nice restaurants, but there is a price to pay.

Lunch at Video on the Net

It's been interesting to see how different speakers approach the issues and concerns that seniors have. Some are very dull, and some have a great sense of humor and gain your attention by telling you about their families, that way they connect with the audience.

One line that made an impression on me was:
"You are all members of the "P" (for procastinators) club, "Information is only as good as what you do with it so let's make an appointment with my firm. What's the best day for you?"
My response to that is,"I'm a snowbird and am leaving town soon."

Over time I have picked up some helpful information about investing. One thing that I have figured out is, don't invest in something that you don't understand! The salesman doesn't necessarily know what is best for you.

It's good for him, he gets a commission on the sale!

No more free lunches for me, It's not worth the hassle.

This will probably be my last post for a while. Once I get settled, I'll be back on-line with an update on what's going on in the sunshine state.

Happy holidays to my readers and fellow bloggers, stay well, stay warm and enjoy!


Comments:
I hope your not traveling today with the messy weather and all.

Have a safe trip ans send back a care package with sunshine and warm temps in it. ;-)
 
Millie, I hope you have a good trip and that it's not too tiring.
And you're right, free lunches do come at a price ;)
Nothing to do with you, but I didn't like the term other, that blogger.com used, to let you comment on a blog, but I hate the pseudonym thing that is trying to force you to have a blogger account to have your blog address in there.
I think blogger is behaving like Microsoft, and let me tell you, that is not a compliment ;)
Claude
 
Hi Claude,
When I comment the options I get are:

1. Google/Blogger
2. Nickname
3. Anonymous

I don't see 'other' here...

You can always put your REAL name in where it says Nickname.

Now that it says Google/Blogger I don't even think you nneed to have a blog anymore like you used to. In fact, I had to change my blogger ID to a Google ID...

Hope that helps.

Just got in from shoveling snow. It's now soaked with water and changing to ice later so it was a good idea to go out now and shovel it.
 
Totally- nothing in this life is ever "free." Except bills, companies seem to delight in sending you free bills whether you want them or not *lol*
 
Be safe, Millie! Come back to the web soon.
 
I think you made a good decision.

Hurry back, Millie!!!!!
 
Happy Holidays, Millie! Have a fun and safe trip to Florida. Enjoy the sunshine.
 
Safe travels Millie. Take care of yourself.
 
Glad to hear you are careful Millie. I lost a lot of money through trusting a 'financial advisor' when I retired - and there wasn't even a free lunch attached.
Have a great time in Florida. Look forward to hearing all about it.
sablonneuse
 
The "free lunches" with vacation condos can be really unpleasant with high pressure tactics. Did one many years ago, and said "Never again!"

Here's wishing you a good and safe trip to Florida. Hope you get settled in easily.
 
Hi Millie,
Thanks for the comment - yes those Yorkshire puddings were lovely, I can vouch.

Have a safe trip to Florida and enjoy the sun Snowbird.

KP
 
Many moons ago Lake Havasu was being developed and the developer advertised a free weekend with lots of goodies including a ride on the lake. We were to be flown over and back and it was too good to pass up.

The first thing that happened was a meeting and sales pitch followed by being assigned our own personal salesman. He took us around and showed us the lots available; talking all the time of the advantages of being in on the ground floor. (It turns out he was right). When we didn't sign up the freebies and lake ride disappeard and my husband and I were dropped like a sack of potatoes. The plane we rode in was an old prop plane and the ride back rivaled a roller coaster. One girl got sick and we all felt miserable. That is the first and last time I ever attended a free lunch.
 
Post a Comment


HOME
Powered by Blogger