Sunday, October 23, 2011
 
OCTOBER: He Fell Out Of Bed, Two Funerals, and a Phone Call
I've been thinking all day today what I could blog about. The only things that come to my mind are sad things.

First - He Fell Out Of Bed:
When the Jewish New Year was approaching I thought of two of my cousins who were moving into a unit in my complex a day before the holiday. I thought, wouldn't it be nice to have them over for dinner since they would be overwhelmed with "just getting settled." They are both in their 90's and their children live in California.

I called about two weeks before the holiday and invited them to share the holiday with me and my family. They were extremely happy to accept and were looking forward to the evening.

Three days before the holiday my cousin called to let me know that he and his wife could not attend reason being that he had just come home from a three day stay in the hospital. He was hospitalized because he had fallen out of bed, did not break any bones but needed attention.

Comfortable sleeping area

They were disappointed and so was I.

Second - Two Funerals:
I attended two funerals this month. They were for cousins on my husband's side.

Remembering Ted Kennedy - TV Coverage

I was apprehensive about going because I thought, "who would be there that I know other than the immediate family." What disturbed me was that the deceased cousins came from very large families.

Sure enough, I was the only one representing the family.

It meant a lot to me to be there but at the same time it was disturbing.

Third - Bad News, Good News:
I have a dear friend that is in an assisted living facility. I don't get to see her often enough but we keep in touch via that good old invention, "the telephone."

Telephone

We talk, I bring her up to date on what's happening and she does the same. The thing is, our updates are mostly about - this one falling, that one had a stroke, that one had a heart attack, and on and on.

What usually happens is by the time we are ready to say, "goodbye" one of us says, " let's end this conversation with something cheerful!"

Well sometimes there is a PAUSE until one of us can think of SOMETHING.

The last time we spoke I was the one to come up with something!

This is what it was about.

This season my apartment complex has a new landscaping company that has done an outstanding job on the grounds. I particularly admire all the colorful mums they have planted, vibrant yellows, deep purples and cheerful lavender with yellow centers.

Daisy and Daisies

When I walk around the complex it's just a pleasure to see such beautiful plantings.

I wish they could bloom all year!


Comments:
I love how you found the positive that was connected to your daily life. Just by observing our environment and really seeing 'nature' and things for what they are, really can make a difference in our lives and giving us positive energy.

So sorry to hear of all of the sad things for the month of October. Lets hope it is just a rough patch and stuff will get better next month.
 
Sweet Girl Tracie

Thanks for dropping by and for those encouraging words.

Me too, hope next month will be better. ;-)
 
Millie, I wish everyone looked for the cheerful things/a silver lining to life. The world would be a better place if we did. My dad used to say that as he got older, all he did was go to funerals and visit people in hospitals. I'm sorry to say that it is happening to us now.
 
Yes, at this age there are a lot of funerals and sickness. My mother always said they came in 3's
so now in my life I wonder who the other two will be. A nephew passed away 2 weeks ago.
I love flowers and many are still
blooming around my cottage.
We have so much to be thankful for.
Have a good day...
 
One woman's Journey

Yes, I've heard that deaths comes in 3's. Not always. Sorry for your loss.

This month I attended two funerals for family members.

There were two other funerals for old friends that I was not able to attend.

I'll be glad when October is over.
 
Sorry for your losses! Hopefully, the winter holidays will not bring more!!!
 
Hang in there. Glad you are a positive person. I am only a few years behind you, my husband is ahead of you in years but is very negative, which makes for hard days. I am usually up beat always ooking forward to a good day.
Bless you.
 
Sorry to hear it's been a difficult week.
But trust Millie to find a positive thing to say. That is a wonderful trait of character, Millie.
 
This was pretty great! We will share this on Ready to Soar www.readyts.com which is a learning community for parents and childcare providers.
 
Hi Millie,
The grounds in your complex with the beautiful Mums are uplifting because of the colors.
You will be going to Florida and you will enjoy the colorful plantings.
Treat yourself to a beautiful Impatience plant for your patio and you will have 4 months of an easy maintenance plant with color to give you enjoyment.
This summer I enjoyed my terrace with the flowers and tomato plants.
Hope you have a better November.

It was so sweet to try to make other people happy!
Remember everyday is a Gift that is why they call it the Present!
Nanci
 
Hi Millie,
The grounds in your complex with the beautiful Mums are uplifting because of the colors.
You will be going to Florida and you will enjoy the colorful plantings.
Treat yourself to a beautiful Impatience plant for your patio and you will have 4 months of an easy maintenance plant with color to give you enjoyment.
This summer I enjoyed my terrace with the flowers and tomato plants.
Hope you have a better November.

It was so sweet to try to make other people happy!
Remember everyday is a Gift that is why they call it the Present!
Nanci
 
Post a Comment


HOME
Powered by Blogger