Sunday, November 24, 2013
 
NOW HEAR THIS!
Pay attention to what is going to be said!

For the longest time I've been having trouble hearing.

It's been especially bothersome when I'm in a crowded restaurant, having dinner with friends, trying to hear what they are saying and trying to respond accordingly.

Here at Brooksby, I'm having dinner practically every night with a group of at least five friends at a large table. The dining room is noisy, crowded and to add insult to injury, some of my friends speak like they are telling me a major secret!

I know that I have a hearing problem, but those sweet, dear friends not only talk with the softest voices you ever heard, BUT two of those genteel ladies hold their hands in front of their mouths like they think I will attack them!

I have told them to speak up but just maybe they don't hear me!

When I'm home watching TV, I can raise the volume to my liking and I have no problem.

When I see a foreign film, I have no problem because I can read the subtitles.

When I have a conversation with one or two people in a quiet environment I'm fine, no problem.

Vintage Ads for Beltone Hearing Aids, Circa 1950s

One night at dinner I DID HEAR one of my friends say that she goes to an audiologist here at Brooksby Village and is pleased with the care she is receiving.

A few friends have told me about problems they have had getting their hearing aids adjusted and having to go time after time to get the right "sound."

That has been a turn-off for me - paying lots of bucks and still having problems with the hearing aids.

Ok, I'm willing to pay the price.

I accept that, as long as I don't have to travel a distance every time I need an adjustment.

When I learned that my friend is pleased with the audiologist right here at Brooksby, I called, made an appointment, and will see him in a few weeks!

Vintage Bosch Omniton MT 80 SP Hearing Aid, Circa 1970s

What experiences have you had getting fitted for a set of "new ears?"

I'm looking forward to HEARING from you!


Comments:
This Lyric hearing aid looks good. No batteries to change. The audiologist just changes them out for you when needed.

 
There are different types of hearing loss. If your's is the loss at high frequency that commonly occurrs with age, you may have an easier time finding a hearing aid that you can tolerate. It will be an adjustment though. I believe it is more difficult to correct a mid-range frequency hearing loss--more sound distortion which simply gets amplified by the aid.
 
I'm passing this information onto the guy I live with. Dianne
 
I have a very nice hearing aid that cost $300.00 (Just one ear). It came with a year's worth of batteries.
Don't get snookered into paying big bucks for a hearing aid. I only use mine, in just one ear, when I'm in noisy company. It makes all the difference to be able to hear people clearly instead of straining to understand.
But to imagine that your hearing can ever be corrected to be as it was before is a pipe dream.
 
I LOVE my hearing aids. I prepared for using them by being aware that: it would take time to get used to them, that needing adjustments is part of the process, and by telling myself that every "noise" was an indicator that I was hearing more sounds again.

Now I'm listening to music, hearing bird song that had disappeared from my life, enjoying conversations and social gatherings. Best wishes Millie.
Ruth Hannah, The Allergy Whisperer
www.allergywhisperer.com
 
Hello Millie! It's been way too long since I visited and glad to see you're well :) I really wish my dad had got a hearing aid - you could see him retreating from the world as his hearing deteriorated but he was way too proud to get one. Now my ma-in-law needs one but she says "people say" they don't work. So exasperating! I hope you have a positive experience with yours! Greetings from London.
 
I am trying to get used to my new hearing aids. One of them was literally a pain in my ear canal so we are still working on comfort. They have improved my hearing somewhat. My loss is in the high frequency range in both ears. The television is a little clearer. Speech recognition is a little better. Once we work our the comfort issue in the left ear perhaps we can start to work on sound quality. I decided to finally give in and get the "new ears" because I couldn't participate in conversations in social settings. It sounded like people were mumbling. Now they are no longer mumbling but it is a huge adjustment. I am interested in hearing about your experience and others, as well. Good luck.
 
Post a Comment


HOME
Powered by Blogger